Thursday, July 29, 2010

Larabars... Good For Everyone


I've been making food for friends and family for years.  I always knew it was pretty good, but when I got married and realized that I'd be the only one cooking, I knew right away, "I better really get my act together!"  So I did.  I stocked up on recipe books, watched Food Network non-stop, and started experimenting in the kitchen... our very very tiny unequipped kitchen.  The response... "okay" at first, but after about a month or so of tweaking some recipes... "wow" was the general consensus.  Then, when I became a vegetarian about 2 years ago, my horizons expanded and I began adding vegan and local food into my repertoire.

Even though I am a vegetarian, I cook meat dishes for my passionately carnivorous husband and Okie family frequently.  What I've found is that my willingness to cook both types of food has scored some major points in my book from everyone I cook for.  And since I live in LA, where almost everyone is a size 2 and vegetarians are everywhere you look, I've managed to please everyone.
~The carnivore and I eating our favorite pecan pie~

One thing you should know is that I am very... okay, very very eco-conscious.  I do almost everything I can to eliminate my impact on our precious Earth.  And "yes", Amy... just one person can make a difference and you can too!  One of the additional things I do to reduce my carbon footprint is cook with meat less frequently.  Did you know that livestock feed yards account for almost 17% of greenhouse gasses in the United States?  I didn't think so.  That's why they say "a vegetarian in a Hummer is more green than a carnivore on a bicycle".  And it's true.  Just something to think about.  It's not something you have to do for the rest of your life, but maybe try eating meat just 3-4 times in a week, instead of everyday.

Here are some great things I make that even my caveman of a husband begs for:

I make protein muffins with whole wheat flower, oatmeal, banana, and organic flax seed, creative cupcakes and cakes (recipes to come), and some pretty amazing savory dinners (including red quinoa with sauteed oyster mushrooms with goat cheese and chive)... but the thing I get most of my compliments on and orders for are my larabars.  Normally, you can find these guys in the grocery store in the protein bar section, or in any Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's.  But why pay a bundle for them when you can easily make them yourself... and I do.  It only takes about 10 minutes and you have easy peasy after-workout snacks, midday snacks to stash in your desk at work, or something on the go.  They're more than healthy, give a hint of chocolate to satisfy a sweet tooth more ravenous than my sister Amy's and hearty enough to cure a growling tummy.

~My homemade chocolate nut larabar... and I know what it looks like, but it's AMAZING~

Here are some great Larabar recipes that I've come up with:

Break out your food processor and get rockin'

~My favorite wedding present~

                         
                       Apricot-Almond: Use 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped dried apricots and 2 tablespoons date (to measure 1/2 cup total); use almonds for the nuts.
                                     
                      Tropical: Use tropical fruit bits (these come pre-packaged at the supermarket); use raw cashews for the nuts. Add 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest, and 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice to the mix.
                                     
                      PB &  J (cheap and delicious!): Use 1/4 cup dried cherries or cranberries and 1/4 cup raisins or dates; use raw or roasted peanuts (lightly salted or unsalted) for the nuts.
                                     
                      Blueberry Bust: Use 1/4 cup dried blueberries and 1/4 cup dates; use almonds for the nuts. Add 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, and a drop of almond extract to the mix.
                                     
                      Cashew Cookie: Reverse the proportions of fruit to nuts--Use 1/3 cup dates for the fruit and 1/2 cup raw cashews for the nuts.
                                     
                      Chocolate Nut: Same as cashew cookie, but add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/3 cup of coconut if you wish, pinch of cinnamon and 1/2 ounce very finely chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate to the mix.
                                     
                      Pistachio Heaven: Same as cashew cookie, but use raw pistachios and add a tiny drop of almond extract.
                                     
                      Peanut Butter Cookie: Same as cashew cookie dough but use raw or roasted (lightly salted) peanuts for the nuts.

If you want to create your own creation, just start with 1/3 cup of pitted dates or figs, and 1/2 of any nut you choose, then add all the extras, i.e. chocolate, blueberries, cherries, raisins, etc. and add what you like.

2 comments:

  1. where's the recipe dude? i want to make some larabars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Will try drying some fresh figs to use in them.

    ReplyDelete