Sunday, July 18, 2010

Good cheese, good wine, OC... I'm Happy


With temperatures reaching the triple digits in "the Valley" this weekend, I couldn't think of any better escape from the undigestible, smothering heat, than straight to my sister's and mom's place in Orange County. Okies, I know you feel me when I say "it was freakin' HOT, dude!!!!!!"

And so it was. I packed my weekender bag, rallied up the pups in their pet tube in my CNG Civic and down the 405 we went. With only 1 hour away from 20 degrees cooler, I couldn't get there fast enough.

I am currently addicted to my Buddha Bar V cd. I cranked that puppy up, made my way into the HOV lane (because that's what you can do too when you drive a CNG car) and as we drove, I literally could feel the digits dropping. Ahhhh!

I always tell people that coming to OC from LA is like escaping the real world full of struggle, raw truth and heavy issues and entering a bubble. A very very rich bubble full of nothing but beautiful people and pampered living. Beach bums with tiny bikinis on beach cruisers, Range Rover after Range Rover on the PCH, and some of THE very food in Cali.

My sister, Amy, cousin Pete and I went to the Side Door on Saturday night, and had the most scrumptious cheese plate I've ever seen or put in my mouth. From the outside, only one over sized red key hangs from the roof symbolizing its existence. The term German Hofbräuhau comes to mind.

As you enter, that German Hofbräuhau morphs into a dark tavern of sorts. And if you didn't know you were 300 feet from the ocean, you'd think you were in an enchanted forest. You're greeted by the subtle hint of stinky cheeses and pinion wood. Our table stood beside a grand fireplace. And with fire's glow and only wall lamps to light our quaint low-beamed spot, it was the culinary equivalent of snuggling up with your mate on a cool night.

As our server brought out our delights, I snagged this picture of him... he was clearly a tiny bit perturbed, totally caught off guard and I think I caught him rolling is eyes afterwards.

We ordered flights of white wine, and artisan cheese platter. We tasted some hard cheeses, one veiny bleu cheese and some very stinky cheeses. Paired with some creative compotes, jams, and honeys, it wasn't long before we were ooohing and aaaaahing so loud we drew a crowd. But what's new? For all of you who know my family, you know that we're opinionated, dramatic, and very loud. We draw a crowd pretty quickly really no matter what we do.
So as we ooooed and aaahhhhhed our way through dinner, I began to revisit how ridiculous it was that I took a flash picture of our server in a fairly dim room. This was the conversation that followed... classic.

Katie:"Do you think that waiter thought I was insane?"
Amy: "I mean, you are insane! Duh."
Katie: "Is there any other way to be?"
Pete: "Not in our family."

So, for those of you who know my family, you know this is a fairly typical scenario.

But who cares if people were staring. With some stinky cheese, the ocean, great wine in OC, I was happy enough.

We ended the night with three snoring twenty-somethings and some amazing weather.

1 comment: