Monday, July 26, 2010

The Ghetto By The Sea

Because I think so highly of my family, I will be introducing them to you, dear readers, as I move along in my quest.

This weekend, I finally convinced my family to come and see me for once.  My cousin Pete and his precious girlfriend, Mary Elizabeth, or "ME" as we have affectionately nicknamed her, came to Venice to spend the day with me.

In summary, we had an amazing time.  But here is the long of the short of it.

Venice is known as "the ghetto by the sea".  And for those of you who've been fortunate to have spent time there you know it truly is a tiny bit ghetto.  I like to call the crowd that hangs out there "the fair crowd" as in the people you encounter there.
~One stunner of a ride~
We met at Hotel Erwin- a tiny, unassuming modernish hotel on Pacific.
~Pete, ME and Amy (fave pic)~
We valet parked for $7 for an entire day, and made our way up to the rooftop bar called High.  What a pleasant surprise.  I think one of the most charming things about LA is it's secrets, as if I think LA is charming.  I am so often overwhelmed by how in-your-face and unauthentic this city can be.  But every once in a while, I'll spring on a tiny secret which bursts class and divulges a classic novelty view.

~Pete and ME loungin'~
~Pete suddenly grew tons of hair~

It was like pulling open the curtains to another world.  Pete, ME, Amy and I all gasped!  Stopped, took about 30 pictures and then walked about 100 feet down a boarded catwalk to the jackpot- a large loungy spot right at the end.  A DJ spun some easy beach beats while we grazed over the menu.  We ordered a pina-conada, which was mixed, clear and not too sweet.  Perfect for calorie consciousness.  We dosed up on some rays and headed down to that infamous boardwalk full of desperate, yet talented street performers, the crazy wanna-be rapper/artist pushing their CDs in your face, and, of course, the medicinal marijuana "preliminary cards".  In a word... sketchy!  But fun!  Because if you're into people watching... this is the place to be.
~Some good finds~
We tried on hats on ME and Amy's never ending quest to find a "cute fedora".  We found them.  And found some rad sunglasses.  But if you can't get to Venice and like ordering online.  Try this blog that I love.
~Great sailor hat that I can wear with my nautical bikini~
~Pete taking up one whole side~
~James Beach Restaurant-60 North Venice Blvd.
Venice, CA 90291~
We ended the night going back to my favorite new spot in Corona Del Mar, Side Door... again.    This time we met up with friends, including Miss Sarah Lyons, whom I love to death!
~ME, Pete, Amy, Sarah Lyons~
~The actual quiet woman.  This image is plastered everywhere~
Then off to a bar called The Quiet Woman.  I've drove by The Quiet Woman probably 30 times and always expect to walk in and see 10 hippy women in a spirit circle drinking tea and singing Kumbaya.  To my surprise, it was quite the opposite.  This bar and restaurant was given its name because of the woman without a head that they've honored as their mascot.  We walked into a raging bar, crammed-packed to the brim, partially due to an awesome cover band called 51/50 that was rockin' it.

Whew!  What a weekend!  I may have fallen in love with a ghetto, but just like the Lords of Dogtown, I like the Ghetto By The Sea!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Love your rendition of our day. Perfectly put! Please don't ever stop blogging. What a fantastic time we all had. Loved every minute of it.

    p.s. i don't remember taking that pic at side door.

    ReplyDelete