Saturday, March 5, 2011

The S Factor

My favorite poem goes like this: (some of you may know it)

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me."
~Maya Angelou

Today, I took this idea and ran with it, doing something I've wanted to do for year.  Yes, I went to S Factor.


Usually when my sisters or friends and I go dancing at a club, someone will make a remark about how they can't dance.  I've never had a problem with that.  I just like to feel my body be powerful and move in only the way it can.  So I embrace it.  I have pretty solid self-esteem and I guess I just work it on the dance floor.  I am not ashamed to move they way I want to.


Long story short, I have never felt more at home when I arrived.  I parked my car, and when walking to the front door to go in, I passed by one of their studios.  I heard this amazingly erotic music, loud and bassy.  Uuuughh.  I couldn't wait to get in there and see what I was getting ready to learn.  When I walked into the studio, red light bulbs (appropriate, I know) were dimmed, and 3 poles formed a line down the middle of the floor.  We spent about an hour on the floor playing with our curves, moving the way we were meant to, without reservation, without judgement, eyes closed, reconnecting.  I learned moves that were tough, requiring stamina, strength, flexibility and... yep sensuality.  We learned walking, and a basic move on the poll called "the firefly".  Since there are no mirrors, students are encouraged to applaud when something looks good.  I got some applause from the outside, while I secretly was applauding myself on the inside.  Needless to say, I was definitely in my element.


2 short hours later, I was done, but wanted more.  I walked out with a smile that I couldn't possibly hide, and looking in my rearview mirror on my drive out, I was glowing... like visibly glowing.  It was this simple class, this simple mentality- draw inwards, accept yourself, love every flaw and dent of cullulite, do it!! and be not ashamed.  This is the secret.  Loving yourself from the inside out- phenomenally!

P.S.  If you haven't gone to The S Factor, don't walk... RUN!

~I learned this today~

~ But will be learning this in the next 8 weeks~

No comments:

Post a Comment