Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dinner With Friends









I can't think of any better way to bring this festive weekend to a close than to spend it with our close friends, Jordan and Kyler.  Jordan and I have known each other since we were 7 years old when she threw a pecan at my head on the playground at Westminster Elementary School.  I went home and told my mom what happened and my mom being the mother bear she is/was called ready for battle.  To her surprise, Jordan's mom and her hit it off instantly and we soon got together for a play date.  We've been best friends ever since!

Jordan and Kyler are that couple that you don't have to pretend around.  They are that couple that you can camp with, cook with, and have amazing conversation over greatly cared-for food that comes from their heart and soul.

Tonight, Joel was the odd man out, being the only carnivore.  He enjoyed beer boiled brats on a poppy-seed hoagie topped with a homemade corn relish we got at the Encino Farmer's Market.

I made an eggplant, onion and tomato casserole garnished with goat cheese.  I sauteed my eggplant and onions first, sliced my tomatoes and then layered them like a vertical lasagna and baked it at 450 degrees until bubbling.  Then took off the foil and crumbled goat cheese on top (just a little) and put her back in until cheese was a tiny bit browned.  Yum!
~Before I put it in the oven~
~After I took it out~
It was a true crowd pleaser.  And with all of my ingredients purchased at the farmer's market, I not only feel good supporting my local growers, but I know what I am eating is fresh, real and of course... organic.  Creamy enough to satisfy the carnivore, and healthy enough to for extremely conscious vegetarians.  Yay!  The best part, there was too much for us all to eat, so I get to eat left-overs tomorrow.

Listening to NPR the other day, I heard about a carrot cake cupcake with goat cheese icing.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head, so I had to make them.  I thought it would be a creative way to tie in the goat cheese component from dinner, but with this more modern twist on an earthy favorite, my dessert was great too.

~The carnivore loves goat cheese icing~
~I snagged with photo from outside by the grill~
I bought a no sugar, health nut variety carrot cake mix at Whole Foods, but you can get any carrot cake mix or recipe you like and make it into cupcakes.  For the frosting, I took a brick of softened goat cheese (about 6-8 oz.) and put about 2 tablespoons of confectioners sugar, a dash of ginger, and a dash of cinnamon and mixed it all together.  Perfecto!
~Carrot cupcake with goat cheese icing~


We ended the night with full tummies, happy hearts and open minds... as always!  Tons of luck you and your dinner with friends.  Make something new and creative... together. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. yum! looks fantastic!!!!!! you sure couldn't get that goat cheese icing idea out of your head huh? been talking abt it for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looked so good! This is Pete by the way. Keep it up Cous.

    ReplyDelete