Monday, September 12, 2011

Arts and Krafts

On the first day of school, you go around the room and rhyme your name with another word, so that everyone remembers you.  In 9th grade, I was Krafty Katie.  I was Krafty Katie again in 11th, and once again in college.  Until now, I had no claim to that fame... but now I do.

Here is what I did this weekend.

I took these gold, square, modern-ish mercury vases that I had from my wedding in 2008.  I've been looking for a purpose for them for... uh, 3 years now, and warped an idea I saw when strolling through Crate and Barrel.  The original were white branches in a tall glass vase.  I took the same idea and played with it using my vases.

~Discarded branches from the backyard~

~Non-toxic, silver paint $3 at Michael's, painted branches with a paint brush and trimmed them down to fit~

~$3 Foam from Michael's and cut it to fit~

~$2 Moss from Michael's,  filled to the top to cover any foam~

~Placed them 4 inches apart on top of our country-style 1960's piano to modernize it a bit~
There you have it.  I spent about $10 total, used some backyard items, and used what I had lying around.  These are going to be so pretty with Christmas lights or ornaments for the holidays.

1 comment: