Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Farmer's Market Sundays

Sundays are my favorite day for a few reasons.  When I was little, Sundays were reserved for morning church, lunch (and dinner) at my grandparents house, and a long car-ride home in the back of my parents station wagon.  This was 1988, and my parents had a station wagon with the wood grain paneling- Oh ya!!  On our hour-long car ride home from my grandparents house, they would lay down the back seats and fill it with blankets and for my sisters and I to lay down and turn in early, while my dad used a creative, kid-friendly version of your four-letter favorites to the other drivers.  Three sleepy Oklahoma sisters passed out in the back of a station wagon in the 80's.  Those were the days.

Now Sundays mean sleeping in, long walks with my dogs in the Cali sun, skateboarding with my husband, afternoons in our garden and, of course, the Farmer's Market.

What I love most are the seasons.  In the Fall, I fall for squash blossoms, oyster mushrooms and artichokes.  Winter brings 40 varieties of chlorophyl-laced lettuce. This time of year- Stargazer Lilies, which happen to be my favorite, simply for their ungodly ability to engulf my whole home in their sensual Springtime smell without being overpowering.  In addition, the heirloom tomatoes, sprouts and herbs galore.  Much better than the sorry excuse for vegetables that our regular grocery store provides.

Our cash here goes straight to LOCAL farmers, while we save the world of our carbon footprints and keeping our good thing going... pesticide-free.

So rethink your canned vegetables (yikes!), and ditch the overpriced produce at Whole Foods.  Hit your local Farmer's Market for the best variety of seasonal yumminess.

Here are some of my favorites:
Atwater Village Farmer's Market
Lake Balboa Farmer's Market on Victory
Calabasas Farmer's Market (recommended by my friend Laura)
And I hear that Newport Beach has a good one on Newport Blvd. very near to Lido Island

You'll come home with a few bags of organic, local produce for 1/4 of the price of Ralph's or Von's.

Cheers and Happy Marketing!

1 comment:

  1. First off...i have fond memories of that station wagon coming home from nana and granddads too. dad was all....shakrtza sonofa behive....only bc he had been to church that holy sunday.
    Second of all, I LOVE THE FARMERS MARKET. I would like to go to one in LA. Sarah and I got fresh asparagus and snap peas, peaches last weekend. My very most favorite in which i will not buy at Ralphs....HEIRLOOM TOMATOES. YUM.

    ReplyDelete